Jan 21, 2012

Closed and Open Policies

I understand the concept. I understand why companies behave the way they do. But it all goes deep down to the reasons why I don't make my own money in my own company but work as an employee in (a small) one (with quite healthy values in my opinion).

I sincerely hope that schools don't start putting money in Apple's pockets with the iBook 2 - I believe that when we are shifting to a new era, the age of eBooks in schools, it shouldn't be done in such a greedy "only our hardware will do" way. This, as is, has nothing to do with Apple itself, I'd be of the same opinion, was it Microsoft or Samsung or Google or whoever doing it. Thing is, there are certain things where everybody, including the initiator, would profit of openness.

Mr. University President, please don't adopt Apple's iBooks 2 platform
Microsoft Mocks Apple’s iBooks Author policies on Twitter

And there are things where openness isn't necessarily necessary or even desired. Like the Win tablets and ARM. What is it for? To ensure the performance of the tablet, for one. Microsoft does not manufacture its own hardware like Apple does, but in essence, has the same right to determine the hardware requirements for its tablets - and even protect them from other operating systems. I haven't seen anyone installing Android on any iPads either! There are plenty of free and open platforms to install what ever OSs you like! Win tablet is a Win tablet just like iPad is an iPad.

Microsoft's Windows 8 tablet hardware requirements detailed

No comments:

Post a Comment